Thursday, December 5, 2013

Allergy Awareness

I never expected to have a child with a food allergy.  I don't have any food allergies and my husband doesn't have any.  And yet, we have a child with a food allergy.  For whatever reason, food allergies are becoming more and more common.   I have two friends who have children with food allergies, as well. 

Our particular allergy is peanuts and tree nuts.  Our daughters worst reaction has been to pecans. 
We now carry an Epipen with us.  Thankfully, our daughters case has not been severe.  We are able to continue to eat peanut and nut products in our home.  We just make sure everything she has is peanut and nut free.  However, there are cases where even being in the same room as the allergen or touching the residue can cause a severe reaction. 

So, let's face it, this creates a certain amount of anxiety when eating outside of the home.  When going to a restaurant, we have to ask about nuts.  Potluck or family gatherings can even be more anxiety provoking.  It's sometimes hard to tell what may or may not contain peanuts, tree nuts or peanut butter.  Sometimes it's obvious; other times it is not.  And it's not limited to desserts.

At a small gathering, it's easy to ask others if a food item contains the given allergen.  At a big gathering, it is not.  At times its necessary to take your own food to prevent the exposure.   I also must give constant reminders to caregivers that she has the allergy.

I for one, am glad that more schools are taking precautions for children with allergies.  It gives me more peace as a parent when my child is out of my sight.  Take my word for it, a reaction is scary. 
But what about simple gatherings, like church for instance, might it not be a bad idea to simply share this awareness?  For me as a parent, it would give me a little more peace of mind. 

Now, I'm not talking about doing anything drastic like telling everyone to stop bringing things with nuts or peanut butter or anything.  Completely avoiding all the allergens out there would be impossible.  I know some people with more severe allergies may not be able to be around the specific allergen at all, but those situations would need to be dealt with on an individual basis.  I know those parents would take extreme precautions.  I would too if that were our case.

Now, I know I've only been talking about peanuts and tree nuts.  But say the allergy were eggs or dairy.  These are two more very common ingredients found in the kitchen.  I could also bring up celiac disease, where people are unable to tolerate gluten found in wheat products.  I'm only touching the tip of the iceberg here on possible allergens, albeit they are some of the most common.  This is why I say it's impossible to avoid all allergens.

But what I'm most interested in accomplishing and what I'm talking about is awareness.  The first of these is making others aware that these allergies exist.  The second, is simply placing the recipe with the food item you are taking to make the consumer aware of what is in it.  There are simple ways in which this could be done.  For example, just list the ingredients you included on an index card or tape your recipe card to a craft stick or toothpick and place in the food; or simply lay the recipe next to the dish.  I know some places divvy up desserts and such on too plates for each individual to take.  This is fine too.  Just leave one plate with the recipe attached with a stick near the food item  This will allow people to view the recipe and know what they can take.  And hey, and if someone asks you for the recipe - you've got it ready to share with them!


 
 
Here is my example of a dessert I made recently to take to church to share.  I've included the ingredients.  In this particular dessert, I did not add the nuts - you know why (yet my recipe card has it listed for my example).  If I saw this recipe attached to a food item, I would know to have my daughter avoid it. 
 
So, simply please be aware of those with allergies.  I'm not asking you to avoid making things with nuts or peanut butter.  Hey, it gives me a chance to enjoy these things.  Currently I avoid making desserts or foods with nuts or peanut butter so that I do not have to withhold them from my child.  She loves cookies and you have no idea how badly I want to make (and eat) peanut butter cookies.  But, until she's older at least, and understands the situation more - I won't.  I will occasionally make a peanut butter sandwich, but other food - no. For one, I don't want to make two meals. 
 
 
So, the next time you take a dish or dessert to share, please consider including the recipe for allergy awareness.  I and other mothers with children who have allergies, thank you.
 
 
** update - I learned something new from a friend on allergies.  She has a child allergic to egg.  He can not have the spray used to spray pans for baking.  Another thing I'm sure we all use often.  Something else to be aware of and how hidden then allergen can be.


2 comments:

  1. I agree. Awareness of allergies is very important. There are many people in my church with allergies of various sorts. Everyone who brings a dish to our church potluck dinners fills out a slip of paper listing possible allergens: wheat, nuts, lactose, gluten, etc. and places the information next the the dish. I think your recipe in the dish idea is even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart idea, ladies! I've had an Epipen projector for a long time, and my kids have some severe allergies, and something like this would have been lovely at church dinners!

      Delete